The Spanish architect Gorka Blas is winner of the first prize in the international ideas competition for the design of a public library in the Gosan district of the city of Daegu in Korea.
The jury appreciated this project’s section, clear, simple, functional and logical. The transparency of the ground floor portrays easy access and seems both inviting and open to the public. The jury considered that this building will become a strong and vital contribution to the civic life of Daegu representing the level of flexibility needed for the fast changing relationship between a public library, technology and its users.
The second prize was awarded to the British team STUDIO SH led by Seung-Hyun Yuh and Se Hyeon Kim.
The third prize went to the Danish team JAJA ARCHITECTS APS, led by Jan Yoshiyuki Tanaka.
Twelve mentions were also awarded:
- David Tajchman et Nathanael Dorent (France)
- Patkau Architects (Canada)
- APE : Bart Chui, Hin Yeung Cheung (China)
- Studio-X : Yeon-Moon Kim, Young-Gyu Lim, Seung-Keun Lee, Eun-Jeong Kim (Korea)
- Tapia+Figueiras Architects (Spain)
- Shin Architects (Korea)
- Tomas Labanc & Ramon Bernabe Simo (China)
- PNG : Gojko Radic, Natasa Stefanovic (Serbia)
- Gillot+Givry (France)
- Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios (United Kingdom)
- Studio Figo+ Juan Carlos dall`Asta Gutierrez (Italy)
- Sung Gi Park Architecture (USA)
The jury examined 549 projects from 62 countries. Presided by Waro Kishi (Japan) the jury was composed of Kjetil Thorsen, (Norway), Peter Berner (Germany), Kim, Young Sub (Korea), Lee, Jeong Ho (Korea) and Ulf Meyer (Germany) alternate member.